How to save Codeforces from AI-assisted cheating as AI models evolve so rapidly?

Revision en1, by di_z, 2024-09-13 09:52:40

Inspired by the comment of hxu10 at https://mirror.codeforces.com/blog/entry/133874?#comment-1197073

I think this is an important topic as it impacts the very existence of the whole online competitive programming communities (like Codeforces). So, I open a new thread.

Back in my university days around 2019, when I was actively competing in Codeforces contests, I never imagined that AI would advance so quickly that it could solve difficult competitive programming problems.

Open AI's new model claims to achieve 1800+ rating. I would assume in the near future, AI could achieve 4000+ rating and beat tourist. Although I'll mark this day as the day when AGI comes, it will pose an existential threat to Codeforces!

Also using Go as example. After AI performed better than every human, online Go competition effectively collapsed. Everyone can use AI to cheat. An unknown contestant who suddenly performs really well will be challenged on whether they are cheating using AI.

But the situation of competitive programming will be more dire after AI keeps improving it competitive programming capability. Reasons:

1. Cheating in a two-player game like Go only affects one opponent while cheating in a Codeforces contest, however, undermines the entire leaderboard and harms every participant.

2. In-person Go contests are still alive. However, due to the nature of competitive programming, with its smaller and dispersed community, there are almost no in-person Codeforces equivalents.

Actually I have no ideas that can solve this issue. Here're some ideas with profound limitations:

1. Signing Term of Agreement when registering contests which commits not to use AI. Limitation: will not be effective.

2. Mandate screen-sharing (and even camera-on) during contests to prevent cheating. Drawback: privacy concerns and high costs (to both Codeforces itself and users).

Tags codeforces, artificial intelligence

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English di_z 2024-09-13 09:53:44 35 Tiny change: 'uivalents.\n\nA' -> 'uivalents. OI and ICPC are only for students.\n\nA'
en1 English di_z 2024-09-13 09:52:40 2008 Initial revision (published)