Attitude on CP and Codeforces contests.
Difference between en1 and en2, changed 1,114 character(s)
Greetings dear Codeforces community,↵

I always wanted to write a post that reflects my progress in turning purple after starting competitive programming for three years, and also to record such a _short_ moment, so here it is.↵

I just 
turned purplereached a 1900+ rating after participating in [contest:1993] by finishing ABC super quickly, meanwhile, six thousand contestants solved them during the contest. I would saSo my 'purpleness' is shaky and I wanted to secure it in the upcoming contests.↵

Yesterday night, when I was studying a certain dp topic, I was asked by my friend [user:YJ365723,2024-08-10] "Do you think problem solving skill in CP is much like sports".↵

I was intrigued by this analogy
, and. I always treat Codeforces contests pretty seriously. However,, but my initial motive for doing CP is to get a taste of computer science. I then realized doing contests is a way to boost my ego.↵

IBack to the sports analogy, in my case, I do sport solely because I want good health and to entertain myself, instead of. People have goals like having a super strong bicep or winning medals in the Olympics. I'm too lazy to go to the gym,Olympic medals. But I'm too lazy to make the effort for thoese goals require so much effort and, they are too specific forto me.↵

My attitude on CP is very similar 
to this if replacinges "health" with "problem-solving skill", which is something that. They both benefits me in general. And tThe "specific goalsareis an analogiesy to the Codeforces rating in this case.↵

There ar
, which is much less important than problem-solving skills, and CP itself.↵

Some peopl
e always people complaining abou that "the problem-setting of this contest is so bad", "this problem C in this contest is way too simple/hard for div2"...↵

Let'sTo be super straightforward, most of these complaints are nothing but saying "This contest isn't allowing me to demonstrate my skills so my rating drops, it's not my fault."↵

If you deserve your current rating, you 
will be able tocan defend it; otherwise, it's likely to drop, but what you could do is improve your problem-solving skills, helping. If you feel significantly depressed or stressed when your rating drops, why don't take a break from the contest and focus on studying different data structures or algorithms instead of yelling at the problems? It's always good to improve your problem-solving skills and knowledge in programming, which will help you secure your rating in the future.↵

I'm turning blue again as I flunked the contest this morning(in my time), does that mean that I don't deserve the purple handle? Probably, I have complaints too. I know my level, probably I cannot reach purple in the next ten rounds, but I know I will reach the rating that reflects my skill and level, for me, it's even better than bluffing with the purple handle.↵

(But I'm 
making use ofusing the purple handle for this blog, ha!)↵

Finally 
lines of humbcouple advice:↵

Study for CS.↵
Study algorithms & data structures.↵
Practice problem-solving skills.↵
To some extent, study for CP.↵
Don't study for Codeforces, but of course study on Codeforces.↵

Best wishes

**UPD:**↵

After struggling for a little while, I improved my programming skills and regained the purple handle after [contest:2007], in which I reached my best contest rank and rating. Unfortunately, I'm still questioning myself, mainly because the ratings of all the problems I solved are below 2000 and I struggled a lot when solving them. I wish I could secure the "purpleness" and maintain my performance after.

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English AirCircles 2024-09-08 07:28:15 1114 Update, second revision
en1 English AirCircles 2024-08-10 23:12:11 2583 Initial revision (published)