Some thoughts about my strategies at eJOI 2018

Revision en1, by ppavic, 2018-08-01 20:46:43

First of all, I want to congratulate everyone who won medals. Special congratulations to everyone who won gold medals. And special special congratulations to Egor.Lifar who won eJOI 2018 by solving all 3 problems on Day 2.

I myself won a silver medal and I would like to write about some things I did wrong at the contest.

Focusing too much on a single problem

Most of the time at Codeforces Rounds it is perfectly fine to concentrate on one problem because all the other problems you haven't solved yet. On an olympiad, you never quite know which problem is easy and which is hard. At this eJOI, the problems on both days were sorted by expected difficulty, but at least I wasn't notified it was going to be in that order.

Thinking you cannot solve a problem

Entering the contest hall on Day 2, I thought the problems would be harder than Day 1 and I didn't expect to solve any problem. So I didn't even try to solve the whole problem A on Day 2, and I was pretty satisfied when I got 75. Seeing the results, it turned out yes the problems was harder, but not unsolvable.

Finding the balance between the hardness of a subtask and the number of points it gets.

Day 2 included an output only problem. The number of points you will get on an output only problem is usually hard to predict. I thought that it was more useful to work on my output only solution than to try to code some more subtasks on Cycle sort which I already had in mind. I decided to work on my output only solution which turned out to be a mistake. I got only 4 or 5 points more than I already had. Half an hour before the end of the contest I started coding those subtasks on the last problem but there wasn't enough time left.

I would like to make it clear this is only my second Olympiad in informatics and these are only some of my thoughts. If you have any piece of advice or thoughts, they are more than welcome.

Tags ejoi, ejoi2018

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en1 English ppavic 2018-08-01 20:46:43 2008 Initial revision (published)