A hard DP problem
Difference between en2 and en3, changed 36 character(s)
[problem:1082F]↵

Hi. I will explain my approach to solve this hard and counter-intuitive problem.↵

**The problem**↵
------------------↵

You've got some telephone numbers. Each number is dialed a given amount of times.↵
You would need to do an amount of key presses to dial all numbers, that is well defined.↵
However there is an amount of special buttons that can be used to type several digits at once. The buttons can only be used at the start of a number (before manually typing anything). Buttons presses does not count as digit press. Buttons can only be used once per number.↵
You need to decide how to place $k$ buttons to minimize total digit presses.↵

**First insight**↵

We need to build a trie structure of the numbers, this will allow us to exploit numbers that have something in common↵

![ ](/predownloaded/ff/29/ff292827692d72106bcc201f94c5123a3a081d96.png)↵

(Example of trie of test case 1)↵

**Need of DP**↵

We should note some kind of DP should be used using sub-trees. The sub-problem could be defined like↵

"Solving sub-tree rooted at $i$ using $j$ buttons on strings belonging to that sub-tree.↵

But there is a technical problem defining DP like that. Although it is logically valid to think "solving" as "assigning buttons" to strings on that sub-tree, we need to store some number to represent that way of "assigning buttons" on DP_{ij}.↵
The natural value would be "total key presses" to solve the sub-tree $i$ using $j$ buttons. But think about the characters of strings belonging to sub-tree but that are outside it. ↵
Should we consider it on sub-problem value? Yes or No?↵

I have though about that fact some time and realized that we can't solve the problem no matter the answer is Yes or No.↵

If the answer is Yes and we consider the outside characters of strings then DP of a smaller sub-trees is depending of DP of bigger sub-trees which is a contradiction. (Think if we use a button over the root of a sub-tree, then the sub-tree DP value changes)↵

If the answer is No, then and we only consider key presses used on that sub-tree then there is another problem. Imagine we are solving a sub-tree $i$ with $j$ buttons and we assume we have solved all children of sub-tree rooted at $i$ root for all $j'\leq j$. If we use a button ending on $i$  we can't compute the total key presses of sub-tree rooted at $i$ because it depends on the amount of strings belonging to sub-trees rooted at $i$ children that are currently not being helped by any button, that do not depend on the sub-trees rooted at children of $i$ DP values. It is another variable that should be added as another DP variable. But I have not analysed if this way the problem could be solved, maybe is too hard.↵

Thus the conclusion is that one way or another we need to add another variable to characterize our DP sub problem, otherwise the sub-problems can't be connected properly.↵

We use the DP that answer YES to the question made above. We need to solve the fact stated about the dependency of smaller sub-trees with bigger sub-trees by adding a variable.↵

DP would be defined like this↵

$DP_{i,j,k}$: Amount of key presses to dial all strings belonging to sub-tree rooted at $i$ using $j$ buttons on them. (And k??)↵

This of course depends of buttons used upside $i$. But there is a simplification. It depends in particular only on the lowest button used upside $i$, not every one.↵

So that is the variable we need to make DP well defined, the lowest button used upside $i$. That is the only information about upper nodes that our sub-tree uses. ↵

$DP_{i,j,k}$: Amount of key presses to dial all strings belonging to sub-tree rooted at $i$ using $j$ buttons on them, considering the lowest button used up-side $i$ ends at node $k$↵

And now when we solve highest sub-trees using lower sub-trees, they don't depend on highest sub-trees, because when we solve a higher sub-tree using a lower sub-tree we know $k$ value that would correspond to the children DP solution we are using.↵

[submission:48045680]↵

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en3 English ariel.nowik 2019-01-14 05:46:41 36 Tiny change: '6.png)\n\n**Nee' -> '6.png)\n\n(Example of trie of test case 1)\n\n**Nee'
en2 English ariel.nowik 2019-01-14 05:43:57 3255 (published)
en1 English ariel.nowik 2019-01-14 02:14:31 924 Initial revision (saved to drafts)