Пожалуйста, прочтите новое правило об ограничении использования AI-инструментов. ×

Making mistakes and learning from them
Разница между en3 и en4, 0 символ(ов) изменены
Hello there,↵

This is my first blog, which is about making mistakes and learning from them. Hopefully it will be of use to someone.↵

#### Be careful with accumulate!↵

Last competition was one of my worst performances ever [contest:1983]. It wasn't obvious to me how to solve B so I skipped it and started working on C which I thought is pretty straightforward. I ended up submitting 9 wrong submissions on C and wasting almost all my time on it.↵

It turns out that all my submissions were correct aside from one little nasty bug. I used the function "accumulate" to sum values in a vector of long longs but it turns out that accumulate sums them as ints instead of long longs...↵

Here is my first submission for C [submission:269261777] and here's a submission I made after the contest that got AC [submission:269299787]. You may notice that the only difference is in the accumulate function.↵

#### What to do after such a mistake?↵
There's really only one thing that can be done after such a mistake. Suck it up and learn from it.↵

#### Rating↵
I used to care a lot about my rating, which is why I started conditioning myself to not care about it as much. Of course, I still do care about my rating and caring about one's rating can be a good motivator for improvement. However I believe that caring a little too much can certainly be detrimental. In this case, it is much easier for me to learn from this mistake than it would've been had I not started trying to not care as much. Also, caring too much about my rating could prevent me from making mistakes from which I could learn.↵

#### Stop caring about rating. Care about being good.↵
The way I started caring less about rating is that I participated pretty much in every contest despite the circumstances. Visiting a friends house for a few days? I can do a contest. Not feeling prepared at all? Doesn't really matter, still can learn from the contest. Being ill (happened this time)? Same thing. Having a completely foreign setup (pc,mouse,keyboard,editor)? Improve, adapt, overcome.↵

I do wonder whether I'm not taking it too far as there are cases where I'm pretty sure that I'm going to lose rating and I participate regardless. Maybe not participating and just doing a virtual contest later would have a similar effect while preserving rating. However, I feel that from the competitions where the conditions are most unfriendly, I learn the most.↵

tl;dr: Cope↵

История

Правки

Rev. Язык Кто Когда Δ Комментарий
en4 Английский Filikec 2024-07-07 22:21:53 0 (published)
en3 Английский Filikec 2024-07-07 22:17:09 102
en2 Английский Filikec 2024-07-07 22:14:37 33 Tiny change: ' my rating and still do to a certain extent, which is' -> ' my rating, which is'
en1 Английский Filikec 2024-07-07 22:10:25 2420 Initial revision (saved to drafts)