Addressing the Prevalence of Cheating in Google India's Hiring Process

Revision en1, by Diksha_goyal, 2024-07-02 07:52:38

It's such a shame that Google India has a good number of skilled problem solvers, yet at least 30% of hires get in through cheating. Why aren't on-site interviews happening? Many blue and purple-rated coders are often rejected because they couldn't come up with the most optimal solution, while people who just dry-run a copy-pasted code—those who can't even solve Div2 A problems—are getting into Google India. I understand that competitive programming is mostly about self-interest and self-pride and has little to do with the actual job, but why is Google India offering such high perks to these cheaters? It's high time to prevent cheating. I even emailed the recruiters about this issue, and they simply ignored my message. Seriously, below-average candidates are getting into Google.

The interviewer thinks they can easily detect cheating, but it always seems to be a strong hire when the interviewee can provide a complete solution and dry-run it. The cheating setup is simple: project the cheater's screen so a helper can see the question, either by looking at the screen, the wall, the TV, or a monitor. Then, the helper posts the solution or hint on a mobile or another screen. A simple dynamic programming transition state or a hint about binary search is just enough for most people to come up with a solution. If it is still not enough, the helper provides a complete solution. Now, if there is a problem for the helper to solve or find on the internet, ChatGPT does a great job if the question is bookish or on Wikipedia.

I don't have the authority or power to control this. So, I urge all Googlers on Codeforces to take this issue forward and help control it. Shame on Google for not even having a portal to report such cheaters so I can show their chats or other evidence of cheating. It's not just a concern for Google; everyone uses Google, and we don't want our beloved products to be created by low-skilled, logicless developers.

Tags google, interview, cheating, google india, google interview, leetcode, hiring, ashishgup, petr, fattypenguin

History

Revisions

Rev. Lang. By When Δ Comment
en2 English Diksha_goyal 2024-07-02 07:54:58 2 Tiny change: 'for Google; everyone ' -> 'for Google, everyone '
en1 English Diksha_goyal 2024-07-02 07:52:38 2030 Initial revision (published)